Friday, March 1, 2013

Winter Fun

I remember a conversation we had a while ago at the front of our decision making process for homeschooling in which Thomas was very adament that should we decide to homeschool, we would most certainly incorporate "snow days" into our year. I hadn't even thought of that before and admittedly, coming from sunny California, I would have to say that they weren't something I was planning on incorporating into our shcooling year. I happily agreed that we would take some days off when the snow was fresh and the sun was out so that the kids could enjoy all the pleasures that all kids get to growing up in the Midwest, and so that Thomas could reminesce and enjoy his trip back to elementary school as well. As for snow days this winter, we've had few until this past week. The snow really came down and we couldn't pass up the chance to...
Build a Snowman
Finished Product
Make snow angels
Have a snowball fight
All of which was enjoyed without their little bother Samuel who has clearly let us know that he is not into the snow...yet! Samuel and I watched from the window inside and he was having just as much fun (in his mind) cheering them on. So it goes, I logged our first official "snow day" for the year 2012/2013! It will go down in the record book as Ethan's very first day off of school in which Daddy came home from work to play with the boys out in the snow. Very fun! After the kids have been out in the snow for an extended period of time, our favorite thing to do is to come inside and enjoy a cup of hot cocoa together. They LOVE this and never forget to ask! We typically curl up on the couch with hot cocoa in hands (I know, a bit risky but worth the risk involved) and read a stack of picture books while sipping. I will so miss this someday!
Together on the couch (no cocoa this time)
A favorite winter indoor activity; Lego Day!
Not Sure if older 2 are crying or laughing but I love Samuel's expression
As the weather begins to warm, we are starting to make plans for Simon's space adventure party! He's pretty excited and Thomas and I have been brainstorming some fun ideas! I don't think we'll take it as far as having a slide down going down into our basement but there might be a lot of slime involved AND a rocket launcher! More to come...

No comments: